[KS] Question on colonial photography

Hyaeweol Choi Hchoi at asu.edu
Fri Mar 4 10:29:58 EST 2005

I’ve encountered similar pictures in missionary journals and photo collections. Here is an interesting cross-cultural explanation by a seasoned missionary, Annie Baird (Presbyterian mission, stationed 1891-1916), who relates “the objectionable gap” (between jacket and skirt) to motherhood and urges western women to think about how Korean women might perceive the rather revealing evening dresses at western-style parties. The quotation below is from Baird’s book, entitled Inside Views of Mission Life (Philadelphia: Westminster Press, 1913), pp. 18-19.

“Until the introduction of Christianity the one reason in Korean minds for the existence of women was the exercise of the maternal function. To be a mother was their one claim to consideration, and they were accustomed to dress in a way to present the least possible obstruction to the frequent nourishment of their little ones. The exposure that resulted was a never ending offense to a vigorous old lady from Kentucky who spent several years in Seoul. She used to descend bodily on women thus unattired whom she met on the street, and make energetic though futile attempts to pull their skirts and jackets together across the objectionable gap, scolding the meanwhile in good round English, not one word of which the victims could understand. I never had any reason to think that she accomplished anything beyond a strong impression on the mind of the assaulted one that this must be a foreign devil of a peculiarly violent type, and I used to wonder what these same women would have thought could they have seen a crowd of Southern or Northern “quality” gathered together for an evening dance. What explanation would they have regarded as sufficient to account for the unseemly lack of attire and the unheard of familiarity of the attitudes?”

Hyaeweol Choi