[KS] Fwd: Question

gkl1 at columbia.edu gkl1 at columbia.edu
Sat Mar 19 08:33:33 EST 2005

Does anyone know what were the Korean names of Ahn Changho's three
sons?  Philip and Philson look like anglicized forms of a tollimja
combination. For those not sure, <tollimja> (or the Hanmun synonym
<hangnyOlcha>) is a term for the generation marker often found in
Korean names. In a common variation of this marker, one character
of the given name will be the same for all brothers and cousins,
etc. in the same generation from a common ancestor. The "Phil"
looks like such a form.  Does it stand for <P'il>?  But then what
about Ralph.  One wonders if that is a changed name, and that there
is an original with Phil- in it.

Gari Ledyard