[KS] Fwd: Question

gkl1 at columbia.edu gkl1 at columbia.edu
Mon Mar 21 21:31:17 EST 2005

I discovered in a 1963 edition of Ahn Changho's collected writings a
photograph of the Ahn family taken before the birth of Ralph, the
caption to which gave the Korean names of all the Ahn children, and
their mother, who was Yi Hyery^on. So now I'm able to answer my own
question. Earlier I had learned the original name of Ralph in a
private message from Hye Seung Chung--thanks Hye Seung! Here are
the original names of all the Ahn children in order of birth.  The
tollimja for the daughters is (arumda^ul) Su, for the sons
(pand^usi) P'il.  1. Susan (+ san, "mountain"), 2. P'illip (+ lip,
"stand"), 3. Sura (+ la as in Silla), 4. P'ils^n (+ s^on as in
Chos^on), and 5. Ralph = P'iry^ong (+ y^ong "hero"). Ralph's name
appears to have been too hard to anglicize, as I suspected.

Gari Ledyard

Quoting gkl1 at columbia.edu: