[KS] Korean Family Papers from The Chosun Dynasty

Monte LeBlanc monteleblanc2 at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 2 21:30:56 EDT 2005

    I was referred to your list by Hyok Young Yi, Korean Studies Librarian at the UW, who suggested I post to your group:
    I am writing to the list in hopes that someone might suggest someone who could read and possibly translate my wifes Korean family papers.
    My wife is a decendent of the Junju Yi clan and the papers we have were written in what I believe to be the language of the Royal Chosun Court.
    The story we have been told is that her grandfather was some sort of Royal Court official and upon the anexation of Korea by Japan, he fled to the country taking his family papers. The papers are written on a type of rice paper, allmost leather-like, and are written in characters more similar to Chinese then present day Korean.
    All attempts by us to have them translated have resulted in only bits and pieces being read. We would like to have them translated to give to our decendents as a family record of their heritage.
   I have small samples in jpeg form if anyone would like to take a look at them.
   Any suggestions on translating the papers would be appreciated.

Thank You in Advance, Monte LeBlanc