[KS] Japan, Korea and the Asia-Pacific (Japanese iron spikes in Korea)

Kirk W Larsen kwlarsen at gwu.edu
Wed May 25 18:43:06 EDT 2005

The oft-cited belief that Japanese colonial official used iron spikes to
disrupt the geomantic efficacy of Korea was mentioned in a Choson Ilbo
article (or photograph and caption to be more precise) more than a year ago
(http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200402/200402170012.html).

I used that article to raise some questions and issues concerning this
matter on my blog (see
http://kwlarsen.blogspot.com/2004/02/of-geomancy-colonialism-and-national.html
for the whole thing).

In the interest of promoting discussion (and seeking clarification and
correction), I reprint a few of my questions/observations below:

4) Is there any evidence that the Japanese subscribed to the same theories
concerning geomancy as Koreans did? I don't know enough about Japanese
culture of the first half of the 20th century to know for sure. If I were to
guess, I would guess that Japan and Korea had similar views on geomancy but
I have never seen any Koreans make this case.

5) Assuming that the Japanese did believe in geomancy in the same way that
Koreans did, is there any evidence to support the idea that the Japanese
conception of geomancy-the power or energy that pulses through the land and
the ways in which that power can be either harnessed or disrupted-included
the notion that the power in the earth was capable of discriminating between
the original Korean inhabitants of the land and the more recently arrived
Japanese overlords? Remember, this is 1943 we're talking about in this
particular case. Korea had been a formal Japanese colony for 23 years. On
maps, in official documents, and in the Japanese popular imagination the
Korean peninsula was part of Japan! (and not for the first time; the
Japanese claimed that the ancient kingdom of Kaya/Mimana was actually
Japanese). To be sure, Japanese colonial officials did not live up to their
naisen ittai ("Korea and Japan are one") rhetoric: Koreans were nearly
always treated as second-class citizens rather than equal participants in
the empire. But nevertheless, Korea (or, from the Japanese viewpoint,
Chosen) was a part of the empire, and an integral one at that. By 1942 the
Japanese had constructed an extensive rail and road network, communications
infrastructure, and a burgeoning number of industries in Korea. Japanese
officials lived in Korea in great numbers. Japanese policemen patrolled the
streets (or sat in police boxes). Japanese farmers worked the soil (albeit
not in nearly as great of numbers as the Oriental Development Company
dreamed of). Japanese industrialists established and managed factories of a
wide variety (like the Onoda Cement factory) and considerable numbers. So
one would have to demonstrate that the Japanese believed that disrupting the
power that flowed through the earth by pounding iron spikes in the ground
would have an adverse impact only on Koreans and not on the numerous
Japanese people and institutions on the peninsula.

6) Assuming that the Japanese did believe that the force in the earth
applied only to Koreans and not to the Japanese in Korea, is there any
evidence that the Japanese in 1943 really wanted to diminish the
power/energy/spirit of Koreans? After all, by 1943 Koreans worked in
Japanese factories (and in management in growing numbers), grew rice for
Japanese workers to eat, served in the Imperial Japanese army (Park Chung
Hee, for example), worked in Japanese coal mines and other undesirable
operations, and were forced to serve as comfort women for the sexual
pleasure of Japanese soldiers and officers. The Japanese Empire clearly did
not treat its Korean imperial subjects as equals. But they relied upon their
hard work nonetheless. Why would they try to enervate the energies of the
very people they relied so much upon?

There is other evidence besides this latest photo (see here for a photo and
discussion of iron spikes that have been unearthed). When the Kim Young Sam
administration ordered the destruction of the old Governor-General building
in the early 1990s, workers were said to have found thousands of iron spikes
in the foundation (early 20th century Japanese rebar perhaps?). But in the
end I have yet to find evidence that clearly determines exactly what the
Japanese intended to do and why they did it. There are plenty of other
reasons to conclude that the Japanese rule of Korea was brutal, oppressive,
and nasty. No need to grasp at straws that do not appear to be supported by
evidence.

Cheers,

Kirk W. Larsen
Korea Foundation Assistant Professor of