[KS] Reply about Romanization for Stefan Ewing and everyone else

Roland Wilson roland_wilson at hotmail.com
Sun May 29 13:44:05 EDT 2005

Sefan,

Hello.  I can see you have done a lot of work concerning the romanization of
Korean which in any form is very difficult to do as not all sounds can be
correctly represented.  That is one reason the linguistic community started
using the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) as it has the sounds and
diacritic markers to properly display almost any language.
I did not see the comparison with South Korean's latest Romanization change
that is listed on their education/tourist website though I may have
overlooked it.
As a linguists myself, to give students a better understanding of a
character, I would always write a hard to pronounce character in IPA.  The
IPA site as a sound portion where one can "click and learn" which could help
you improve your paper.
I think in the end, we should do away with all non-standard forms and use
the South Korean government form even though I do not agree with some of the
changes.

Regards,

Roland Wilson