[KS] Korean romanizations perplexities (again): a seorry state of affairs

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Tue Nov 1 10:08:34 EST 2005

I fear that Charles Muller's seorry tale also has a more general lesson
about falling standards at publishers; yea, even the university presses
of our most ancient seats of learning.

Or just one in particular? For it was also Oxford UP who published
Jasper Becker's book on North Korea, "Rogue Regime".

As anyone who has read it will be aware, this highly polemical work
does not strengthen its case by giving the impression of never having
seen an editor's pencil at all. Names are mangled, and the founding year
of the Republic of Korea is twice given as 1945. Makes you think.

cheers
Aidan FC

AIDAN FOSTER-CARTER
Honorary Senior Research Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea, Leeds University

Home address: 17 Birklands Road, Shipley, West Yorkshire, BD18 3BY, UK
tel: +44(0)  1274  588586         (alt) +44(0) 1264 737634          mobile:
+44(0)  7970  741307
fax: +44(0)  1274  773663         ISDN:   +44(0)   1274 589280
Email: afostercarter at aol.com     (alt) afostercarter at yahoo.com      website:
www.aidanfc.net
[Please use @aol; but if any problems, please try @yahoo too - and let me
know, so I can chide AOL]