[KS] Korean Teledramas

Stefan Ewing sa_ewing at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 2 13:56:39 EST 2005

Dear KS list members:

Certainly, one would think that a good course could now be constructed,
based upon the raw material provided by so many decent teledramas.  (I take
it Charles Mueller is referring to _yo^nsokkuk_: serial dramas.  One
additional advantage they have over North American serials would be the fact
that they eventually end, and all their storylines are resolved--quite
unlike programs here in North America that can go on for decades without
ever coming to an end!)

Historical dramas such as _Yain Sidae_ or _Yo^ngung Sidae_ (although not
really serial dramas) would be good to work with.  A workplace drama would
provide material for learning about day-to-day Korean culture (workplace
etiquette; _hoesiks_; and so on).  A family drama that deals with
engagement, marriage, and/or divorce, and relations between daugters-in-law
and mothers-in-law (as they all seem to do) might be fruitful, too.

One thing that strikes me about Korean teledramas is the recurrence of
certain basic themes or motifs: two sisters, for example, one of whom is
poor, adopted, and mistreated but ultimately prevails over the other, rich,
spoiled sister.  Or the lovers destined by fate to be together but whose
relationship cannot begin until the very end of the drama, because of all
the obstacles thrown up by the writers (class issues, the objections of
families, a third person, etc.).

In fact, there seem to be endless permuations on such themes, let alone any
others that are used but which I can't think of right now.  Is it even
possible--I am merely asking and certainly not speculating--that such dramas
have historical roots in, say, _p'ansori_ (anciently) or the influence of
Japanese drama (in more modern times)?  (For example, could the two-sisters
motif be a throwback to, say, the story of Hu^ngbu and Nolbu?)

Yours sincerely,
Stefan Ewing

***

>From: Charles Mark Mueller <bul2mun at yahoo.com>
>To: Koreanstudies at koreaweb.ws
>Subject: [KS] Korean Teledramas
>Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 13:27:31 -0800 (PST)
>
>I would agree wholeheartedly with the suggestion that more attention be
>paid to Korean tele-dramas. I think it's unfortunate that people
>sometimes refer to this genre as "Korean soaps" as this term conjures
>up memories of the mindless pabulum served up on U.S. TV. Personally, I
>think Korean teledramas are often superior to the films coming out of
>Hollywood. They have deep and complex character development,
>sound-tracks (often created for the particular show) that stand on
>their own as good pieces of music, and excellent dialog that often
>entails complex inuendo and humor. The shows also lack obvert
>sexuality, and as a result, focus on telling good stories instead of
>providing sexual titillation for porn addicts.
>
>They also deal with class and social issues that are oddly taboo in the
>U.S. To this, one could add that the casting is strikingly progressive.
>On a couple shows now, I've seen handicapped characters playing parts
>in which the handicap never appeared as an issue. I'm favorably
>impressed with much of what I see on Korean TV.

MSN® Calendar keeps you organized and takes the effort out of scheduling
get-togethers.
first two months FREE*.