[KS] Korean Teledramas

Angela Jin jinangela at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 3 13:56:34 EST 2005

On the face, yes, they do look like they are based on formula.  Just as
there are popular elements of any popular movie, TV show, or book that
writers would employ, there are similar ones in Korean teledramas.  After
all, they're entertainment.  However, unless Korean society and people have
remained exactly the same since the beginning of teledramas, then it would
be impossible for teledramas, produced by people whose livelihood is based
on staying on top of the trends, to not have then changed with the times as
well.

I think the discussion also involves the traditional, bigger issues of the
study of popular culture.  How can we and why should we study it?