[KS] Koreanstudies Digest, Vol 29, Issue 6

Walter K. Lew Lew at humnet.ucla.edu
Sun Nov 6 15:08:07 EST 2005

Adding to Stephen's suggestion, /Chang'gunUi adUl/ is also noteworthy
for its brief but wonderful depiction of a pyOnsa (live narrator of
film--or what I call a "movieteller") performance. As the screening
of (a reconstruction of) the film /Kuk'kyOng/ begins, the
energetically declaiming male pyOnsa is shown giving narrative
background and then impersonations of several characters in rapid
succession, including a young woman. This excerpt never fails to
fascinate and entertain students--and I have used it in courses
ranging from introductions to Korean civilization to graduate-level
multimedia writing workshops.

There are other reconstructed films with a pyOnsa soundtrack--
sometimes taken from old 78 rpm recordings--as well as documentaries
about the "majimak pyOnsa" Shin Ch'ul, who has performed in the US
several times over the last few years, but /Chang'gun/  faithfully
recreates the whole moviegoing, theater, and performance setting.
Unfortunately, pyOnsa scenes are not included in any of the sequels.

-- Walter K. Lew