[KS] Fwd: Korean War (other terms)

Tae-Gyun Park tgpark at snu.ac.kr
Wed Nov 16 02:21:44 EST 2005

In South Korea, common people use 6.25(yuk-e-o) sabyeon or dongran.
Sabeyon or dongran has very negative meaning, which is started by enemy or a rebel. Another case to use sabyeon is Eulmi sabyeon in 1895, when Queen Min was assasinated by Japanese.

Nowadays South Korean scholars prefer 6.25 jeonjaeng(war) or the Korean War.

North Koreans generally use Liberation War for Motherland(Joguk haebang jeonjaeng) and War for Protection of Motherland(Joguk bowui jeonjaeng). It is becasue they believe that the U.S. attacked North first in June 25, 1950, even though it is not true. In North Korea there is a museum to celebrate their victory, entitled Museum for Liberation War for Motherland.

Tae Gyun Park
GSIS, Seoul National University