[KS] "Sugi" Flag Issue

Thomas duvernay bluelake at handong.edu
Wed Oct 12 20:40:52 EDT 2005

I would have responded sooner, but for some reason anything I post to the
list, or is replied to, I do not receive by e-mail.  I had to check the KS
archives.

William Brown wrote:

"No doubt we would like the flag back, and probably woulld give it to Seoul
if asked, but, and correct me if I'm wrong, didn't foreign warships
regularly sail up the Potomac to Alexandria in the 1700 and 1800s, without
being fired upon?"

Regarding the first part of your response, the problem is the U.S. has not
been willing to return the flag.  They have been asked several times, both
officially and unofficially.

As for foreign warships sailing up the Potomac, I should have stated that
clearer.  I meant foreign warships sailing up the Potomac with hostile
intent.  Such was the case in the War of 1812, and defenses for it were
maintained up into the 20th century
(http://www.nps.gov/fowa/coastdefense.htm).  An example of such an
encounter: "A British squadron made an attempt to ascend the Potomac in July
1813 but turned back after meeting some resistance from militia..."
(http://www.nps.gov/fowa/warburton.htm).

Thomas