[KS] film/drama class suggestions

Cedar Bough Saeji umyang at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 10:29:56 EDT 2005

Wow, that sounds fun!
 I think picking categories of Korean film and a representative film from
each could be good. I have only a watchers perspective on this, and
don't/haven't watch(ed) older movies, but could I suggest that essential
movies or categories could be the following. I am sure you'll get a lot of
advice from different people and there will be common themes emerging sooner
or later.
 1. Banchikwang / The Quiet Family (*comedy but sort of sad*)
2. Turning Gate / O! Sujung) (*aimless* and weird sex related movies)
3. Yellow Hair / Old Boy / No Sympathy for Mr Vengeance (*shockingly violent
*)
4. My Wife is a Gangster/ Guns and Talks (*comedy-mafia* movie)
5. Swiri/JSA (*relations with DPRK*)
6. ---- (*horror movie*, but I haven't watched enough to choose one, but it
should be a female ghost movie)
7. Chunhyang / Chihwaseon / Musa (*historical* drama )
8. The Way Home (cause I can't think of any others to show traditional
farming life)
9. ----- (*tear-jerker* where someone dies or darn close anyway... maybe a
dying of Leukemia one...since I hate these films, I can't recommend one)
 This leaves out some famous films including 'Oasis' which is my all-time
favorite Korean movie, the high school/early college waste of time flicks
that keep pouring out, Koreans certainly loved 'Taegukgi', and also the cold
war films like 'Shilmido' but I really have to go back to writing a paper on
FDI vs. Loans in the history of Korean/Chinese Economic Development.
 Have fun planning such an interesting class! I'm sure it'll be a big hit.
 Cedar