[KS] question

Darcy Paquet darcy at koreanfilm.org
Wed Sep 21 23:58:47 EDT 2005

I don't see nearly as many Korean documentaries as I'd like
to, but I can give you some information about which
independent South Korean documentaries are available on DVD.

First of all there are reviews of just a few documentaries
on this page:

http://www.koreanfilm.org/docs.html

Of these, MUDANG ("Yeongmae") has been released on DVD but
it is currently out of print.  This is a very interesting
look at contemporary shamanism in different parts of South
Korea.  Kim So-young's WOMEN'S HISTORY TRILOGY, however, is
still available commercially.

Kim Dong-won's REPATRIATION about unconverted prisoners of
conscience is a masterwork, highly recommended.  It is not
commercially available on DVD, however, the Korean Film
Council (KOFIC) included it in a 7-DVD set which is
distributed for free to universities.  For more details,
contact Ms. Hwang Dong-mee at dmhwang at kofic.or.kr (I'm
assuming that there are still copies left, however I'm not
100% sure)

KOFIC will also include the trilogy of documentaries about
comfort women (THE MURMURING, HABITUAL SADNESS, MY OWN
BREATHING) directed by Byun Young-joo in their DVD set for
2005, which is due out by the end of the year.

In the meantime, a box set of independent films has just
been released commercially this month (the product of
another KOFIC support program).  It includes THE GATE OF
TRUTH, a fascinating documentary about the investigation
behind a soldier who was killed in 1999 while serving at the
DMZ.  A perfect companion to the feature film JSA, actually.
  There is also Lee Mario's MAD MINUTES, about Korea's
participation in the Vietnam War, and PATRIOT GAME, a rather
jumbled but interesting deconstruction of Korean patriotism.
  The box set also includes some interesting fiction films,
including CAPITALIST MANIFESTO: WORKING MEN OF ALL
COUNTRIES, ACCUMULATE! (one of the best, and strangest,
independent films of recent years).

If you need advice tracking down some of these DVDs, you can
contact me off list.

Darcy

--

Darcy Paquet