[KS] Would you sell your apartment/flat to promote your Romanization?

sangoak at snu.ac.kr sangoak at snu.ac.kr
Mon Sep 26 10:53:03 EDT 2005

Dear KS list members:

As
I said earlier, I have more messages which will help people to understand the
situation in pre-2000 Rominization. I mentioned a
behind-the-scene

story

that the change would
have been motivated, even in part, by one man's career ambitions.

Here is another story of personal
factors at play in the development of the 2000 Romanization.

One of the original
instigators who gave rise to review of virtual MR system used since 1984 was
Prof. Kim Bok-mun [or Pongmun]. He claims he sold his apartment to support his
research and publications on Romanization. His version of Romanization is (more
or less phonetically-oriented transliteration) based on English spelling: a >
ah
,

? > ur,

o > oh,

u> oo,

? > uh,

i > ee,

e > eh,

?i > ui,

k >
g/k
 (initial & intervocalic/final),

t >
d/t
,

p >
b/p
,

ch > j/t,

k’ > k,

t’ > t,

p’ > p,

ch’ > ch/t,

ss > ts/t,

tch > tj, etc. Thus his name in his
version is
Geem Bokmoon
 but he added
a special provision for his family name to keep
Kim
 while changing many others’ family
names:
Kang

Gahng, Kuk

Gook
 (not
Cook
 but GI slang!), etc.

He has achieved only
three changes of k>
g/k
 (initial
& intervocalic/final),

t >

d/t
,

and p >
b/p
in
2000
Rominization although he instigated it by many petitions to the Blue House and
Korean Assembly. In this process of fighting he earned about $8,000 by
impeaching a poor young officer in the National Academy of Korean Language. I
heard this amount of penalty was sentenced because that young scholar posted a
false charge on his website just for a couple of days. A wrong accusation
related to Romanization cost a lot. Can you imagine any other country like this
besides
Korea
 where some
people (not the whole public, fortunately--we have too many linguists
considering our size of population) are very keen to linguistic affairs and
where IT is highly developed?

During
the days AKSE was held in last July, I heard some good responses to my earlier
posting [please see attachment], in particular Dr. Bouchez commented the
following. “Neither in schools nor in the society, Koreans did not teach and
study MR system. This was a part of reason to weaken MR system.” D’accord (I
agree). Many Koreans had regarded MR system was for foreigners whereas they
believe 2000 Romanization is more accessible to Koreans.

Sang-Oak
Lee

Seoul
National Univ.