[KS] Koguryo inquiry

Mark Byington byington at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Dec 20 09:48:39 EST 2006

Dear Werner,

This has strayed a bit from the original inquiry, but the topic may be
worth exploring as we wait for clarification of the question that was asked.

The mural tomb in Fushun was also discussed at last year's Harvard
Conference on Koguryo History and Archaeology in a presentation given by
the vice director of the Liaoning Institute of Archaeology. The mural
tomb was one of 43 tombs excavated in 2000 and 2001 at the Shijia
cemetery to the northeast of Fushun. To my knowledge there has yet to
appear an official report of this work. The cemetery dates roughly to
Koguryo's final century and lies very close to the fortress ruins at
Gaoershan, believed to be the site of Koguryo's Sin-song fortress (a
very important strategic point throughout Koguryo's history). I have
been to these sites, but my most recent visit was some years before the
mural tomb was discovered, so I have not seen anything of it other than
the slides presented at the conference and some sketches of its layout.

The tomb in question was designated M1, and was a stone-chamber
earth-mound tomb, though it was badly damaged and only portions of the
murals survive. I don't recall the zigzag pattern you mentioned, but
there were paintings of women wearing Koguryo-style clothing with long
skirts and trousers. There were also lotus and mountain patterns and the
lower part of a horse (the upper part was destroyed), and a man with a
dagger. Skeletal fragments showed that an adult male and an adult female
were interred in this tomb. There was also a tile end with a lotus
pattern found in the burial chamber.

Your association of the murals with the Nanai is interesting, as the
archaeologists observed that, while this is a Koguryo cemetery, the
tombs are stylistically and structurally not typical for Koguryo, but
they do resemble some Parhae tombs. I have not explored this in much
detail (I'm waiting for the publication of the excavation report), but
this association with Parhae suggests at least two explanations: first,
that this is really an early Parhae cemetery (doubtful), and second,
that the tomb builders were Mohe (Malgal) people who were subject to
Koguryo (much more likely). In the latter case, the builders would be
most likely to be Sumo Mohe (Songmal Malgal) people, who are known to
have been closely allied with or subject to Koguryo and to have played a
very important role in the establishment of Parhae. One problem is that
that pre-Parhae Sumo Mohe (who typically lived on the Songhua north of
Jilin city) are not known to have built tombs with murals, which does
not mean that those Mohe subject to Koguryo wouldn't think that tomb
murals were a good thing and include some in one of their burials. This
all suggests that the tombs at Shijia are probably the result of a
combination of both Koguryo and other cultural elements, the other being
quite probably the Sumo Mohe. I qualify the above by pointing out that
the Mohe association is my own - none of the archaeologists has
suggested anything beyond the similarity between the Shijia tombs and
some Parhae tombs.

I have reason to believe that an excavation report is forthcoming in
China, if it has not in fact already appeared. When it is available, you
will have more complete information on the tomb with murals. I am
presently editing a book that will include some information on the tomb
along with layout diagrams, so either way something will be available
regarding this tomb in the near future.

Best Regards,

Mark Byington