[KS] North and South Korea's Economic Data

Ruediger Frank rfrank at koreanstudies.de
Tue Feb 7 03:05:45 EST 2006

Dear Mr. Wilson,

the main institutions offering this kind of information (time series) are:

National Statistical Office: www.nso.go.kr (KOSIS Database etc.)
The Bank of Korea: www.bok.or.kr (ECOS Database)

The others copy these data, but also provide their own, specialized statistics:

The Ministry of Finance and Economy: www.mofe.go.kr
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade: www.mofat.go.kr
Korea Trade and Investment Promotion Agency: www.kotra.or.kr
Ministry of National Unification: www.unikorea.go.kr
Korea Institute for National Unification: www.kinu.or.kr
etc. etc. etc.

The Kyungnam University Institute for Far Eastern Studies: http://ifes.kyungnam.ac.kr/
offers high-quality research on NK (see also http://icnk.or.kr/).

The BOK and KOTRA have interesting sections on NK, too, although I have no idea how one
can assume to have even the slightest idea of the NK GDP. But since there is a demand for
this kind of data, there of course is also a supply. I find the detailedness of, for
example, sectoral growth data highly misleading, since it pretends a depth of knowledge on
that country's economy that we simply don't have, as much as we would like to.

Best,

Ruediger Frank