[KS] North and South Korea's Economic Data

William Brown wmbbrown at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 6 23:43:29 EST 2006

The most common data used for North Korean GDP is actually published by
South Korea's Bank of Korea  ( http://www.bok.or.kr/index.jsp  You may have
to search for North Korea GDP on May 31st, 2005 release).  This data is a
very rough estimate based on production data given BOK by South Korean
intelligence services.  I'd be surprised if it is within 50 percent accuracy
range on the level of GDP and have no confidence in the growth rate.

It is convienent because it is easily compared to the Bank of Korea's
official data for South Korea, in the same chart. Unfortunately it is
production side accounting, not the more useful expenditure side we are used
to.

CIA's Factbook (google it) also has estimates for NK GDP but these are much
larger than BoK's. They seem too large for a country with massive
malnutrition.

Actually, I am doing a study trying to figure out what is best data to use
and am rather intrigued by a few numbers put out a few years ago by UNDP,
based on data given them by North Korea. Does anyone know if these have been
updated?

Of course the best choice would be to ask North Korea why it tolerates the
humiliation of  other countries making up its GDP.  Why don't they do it
themselves? I don't have such access; maybe someone here does.