[KS] South Korean Masculinities

Korea Journal kj at unesco.or.kr
Thu Jan 5 20:31:20 EST 2006

The autumn 2005 issue of the Korea Journal explores how the IMF crisis influenced the Korean value system, focusing mainly on the family, work, consumption and leisure, sexuality, and political consciousness. While, until now, discussion of the IMF crisis has mainly been approached from an economic perspective, this issue of Korea Jouranl tried to understand how the economic crisis is related with social change in Korea during and after the late 1990s. Related with gender issue, especially, Cho Joo-hyun attepmted to show sexuality of Korean women has been constructed and reconstructed during and after the IMF crisis through lesbian movement, the emergence of cyberporn, and legislation of the new anti-prostitution act.
The authors and titles of articles are as follows:

Shin Kwang-Yeong, [On this issue] Economic Crisis and Social Change in South Korea

Cho Uhn, The Encroachment of Globalization into Intimate Life:The Flexible Korean Family in "Economic Crisis"

Park Gil-Sung and Andrew Eungi Kim, Changes in Attitude toward Work and Workers' Identity in Korea

Kim Mun-Kyum, The 1997 Financial Crisis and Changing Patterns of Consumption and Leisure in Korea

Cho Joo-hyun, Intersectionality Revealed: Sexual Politics in Post-IMF Korea

Kim Ho-Ki, Changes in Ideological Terrain and Political Consciousness in South Korea

You can see the abstracts at the Korea Journal website (www.ekoreajournal.net). Take care!