[KS] Kisaeng

??? shchung at postech.ac.kr
Tue Jan 17 20:35:49 EST 2006

KisaengYour student might be interested in reading my articles on Sin Yunbok's paintings of Kisaeng.
Although the articles deal with some possible artistic precedents of the artist's works, the images
of women and other characters portrayed in some of Sin Yunbok's paintings shed some light on
the lives of late choson-dynasty Kisaeng.

The articles are as follows:

1. "Sin Yunbok's Amorous Themes and their Possible Relationship to 17th-Century
   Chinese Christian Engravings," Oriental Art , vol. 46, no. 4 (2000), pp. 31-42.

2. "Sin Yunbok's Women on Tano Day and the Iconography of Common women Washing Clothes
    by a Stream,"  Oriental Art, vol. 47, no. 5 (2001), pp. 55-69.

Saehyang P. Chung
Division of Humanities and Social Sciences
Postech
Pohang, S. Korea