[KS] Chaim Potok in Korea

Frank Joseph Shulman fshulman at umd.edu
Sat Jan 21 17:22:39 EST 2006

Perhaps the following Ph.D. dissertation will be of some interest:

WOODMAN, Katherine Anne.
Secular and Sacred in the Art of Chaim Potok.  University of Alberta [Canada], 1993 (Ph.D. in English).  Chairperson/Major Adviser: Robert C. Solomon.  vi, 314p.  DAI [Dissertation Abstracts International] 55, no.7 (Jan. 1995): 1959-A; UM [University Microfilms International order number] NN88064.  A microfiche copy may also be borrowed on interlibrary loan from the National Library of Canada in Ottawa, using the ISBN number 0-315-88064-3.
Woodman examined eight novels by a prominent American Jewish writer (1929-2002) in order to "retrieve the body of sacred and secular texts essential" for understanding Potok's works.  His fifth novel, The Book of Lights (1981), "includes the mysterious Eastern worlds of Korea and Japan after the Second World War" and provokes a struggle in Gershon Loran (the protagonist) "with the difficult questions of the relevance of Judaism to the larger world".  Potok's eighth novel, I Am the Clay (1992), tells "the story of Kim Sin Gyu, the young Korean boy who served as Gershon's houseboy.  The tale is set entirely in Korea and traces the journey of three people brought together by chance while fleeing from their villages during the Korean War".
Table of Contents: 1. Introduction: A Passion for Beginnings.  2. In the Silences, a Voice.  3. Separate Ways.  4. Beginning, with David.  5. Omphalos.  6. Beginning Again, with Davita.  7. Maps and Puzzles.  Bibliography: pp.296-314.

[Entry from the forthcoming bibliography, "A Century of Doctoral Dissertations on Korea", by Frank Joseph Shulman]

Best wishes,

Frank Joseph Shulman
January 21, 2006