[KS] Some comments on Yusin

tgpark at snu.ac.kr tgpark at snu.ac.kr
Mon Jan 23 02:36:19 EST 2006

Too all,

I think that Jiyul's comment is very helpful to understand Yusin in 1972.
However, I would like to add something.

> When YC was instituted in 1972 it was done so as a response by Park

> (PCH) to a profound period of national crises, real and perceived, that

> began in early 1968. Internally and externally the world order and the

> desired course of internal development upon which PCH based his long

> range plans for nation building all seemed to crumble. The symbolic and

> psychological impact to SK of three incidents in Jan 1968 can be

> compared to the impact of 9/11 for the U.S.: NK Blue House raid (1/21),

> seizure of USS Pueblo (1/23), and the Tet Offensive in Vietnam (1/31).

> Jan 68 was SK's 9/11.

I believe that most of scholars consider those crises are the most crucial
reason and background of Yushin in 1972. I agree with that argument. However,
crisis in South Korea already started before 1968 security crisis, after sending
combat troop to Vietnam in 1966. Acoording to UN Command's documents in 1966 and
1967, conflicts between South and North along the DMZ increased dramatically
compared to those before 1965. Even when President Johnson visited Korea in
October 1966, North Koreans killed several U.S. soldiers near DMZ line.

The reason NK increased the raids is to hinder South Korean troop dispatch to
friend country, to response against modernization of South Korean army by the
U.S. at the expense of sending troop, and to know that U.S. could not involve
deeply in the Korean Peninsula due to the Vietnam War.

Before the NK Blue House raid, Park already declared to change people's
spirit as if Lee Kwang Soo had said during the colonial period, and Democratic
Republican Party proposed new conscription law. Even in late 1967, UN Command
and Korean politicians including PCH anticipated increase of NK activities in
early 1968.

I think that the road to Yusin was already started before 1968. Yusin is not
passive, but very active one by PCH.

> RE: Prof Baker's comment on Yusin and Meiji ishin, it is precisely

> because of the above situation that his speculation that he suspects
"he
> [PCH] used that term to show that he wanted to do with Korea what
the
> Meiji oligarchs did with Japan, that is, turn it into a rich and

> powerful nation." is I think off the mark. If Prof. Baker's thought is

> correct why didn't PCH evoke the term much earlier in his regime? As
far
> as I know there is not yet any historical evidence of a conscious

> connection with Meiji ishin. I suspect Prof. Ledyard's analysis is

> closer to the mark, the use of a long existing and accepted traditional

> term and concept.

I think that PCH seriously considered Meiji Ishin. He already wrote about
Meiji Ishin in his book during the hunta era. The reason he could not do
something like Meiji Ishin during 1960s is because he could not get currency
from people. I believe that after 1967 presidential election, he seemed to have
confidence to do something he thought.

Tae Gyun Park

Assistant Professor, Korean Studies

GSIS, Seoul National University