[KS] By train from Seoul to Incheon--what's in a name?

gkl1 at columbia.edu gkl1 at columbia.edu
Wed Jan 25 18:30:25 EST 2006

Joshua Van Lieu is correct in insisting that <Seoul> means
"capital" and therefore was applied to Seoul from the moment it
became the capital in 1395. Before that, although we have no
vernacular texts to show it, Kaes^ong was <Seoul>, and before that
Ky^ongju was <Seoul> for Silla. In fact <Seoul> is an evolved form
of <S^orab^ol> "Iron (or Metal) City," the Silla name of Ky^ongju,
where <S^ora> --the ancestor
of modern <soe>, "iron"-- is combined with p^ol, the Silla word for
"city."
    While <Seoul> means capital and has always been the conventional
and most common name for the city, it was never the formal name.
That was Hans^ong, which in essence comes from the name of the
river and the northern and southern mountains of the same name. As
an administrative city, Silla called it Hansanju. Kory^o named it
Yangju (Yang = "willow")m and toward the end of the dynasty called
it <Hanyang> (yang = yinyang yang-- north side of a river, south
side of a mountain). Chos^on called it Hanyangbu, and changed the
name to Hans^ong early on.
   As for Inch'^on and Chemulp'o, the latter was the name of the
port, which was on the coast; the former was the name of the
district, where the magistrate rukled, which was inland. The names
are not equal.

Gari Ledyard

Quoting sumnom at u.washington.edu:

(http://www.seoul.go.kr/life/life/culture/history_book/picture_seoul2/7/120