[KS] Shin Chae-Ho and Daejonggyo

Kirk Larsen kwlarsen at gwu.edu
Wed Jul 26 11:12:14 EDT 2006

I have little doubt that Frank is correct in noting that regardless of
whether Sin Ch'ae-ho was interested in Taejonggyo, Taejonggyo adherents were
probably more than willing to claim association with Sin.

A few years ago while hiking Mani-san, I stumbled onto a colony founded by
the Tandanhakhoe, a group that I believe has had a close relationship with
Teajonggyo. The group's main shrine hall was devoted to a fascinating
pantheon of figures beginning with Hwanung, Ch'i-u and Tan'gun but also
included an array of Korean historical figures such as Ûlchimundôk and, yes,
our friend Sin Ch'ae-ho.

Cheers,

Kirk W. Larsen
Korea Foundation Assistant Professor of
History and International Affairs
Co-director International Affairs Program
1957 E Street 503H
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052
(202) 994-5253