[KS] Various news flashes

Brother Anthony ansonjae at sogang.ac.kr
Mon Jun 12 04:33:22 EDT 2006

Members of the list might want to know that the veteran playwright Cha Bum-suk died on June 6. An obituary
can be seen in the Korea Times at http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nation/200606/kt2006060718012410620.htm

The KLTI informs me that arrangements have been made to publish an improved version of EastBridge's
"20th-Century Korean Literature" that I announced recently, but I have no news of the publication date.

Princeton University Press have announced the publication early in July of "Enough to Say It's Far :
Selected Poems of Pak Chaesam" translated by David R. McCann and Jiwon Shin (it's already available for
pre-order at Amazon.com). It will be in cheap paperback as well as in expensive hard cover.

On Thursday June 29 in Ewha Womens University, Seoul, there will be a KLTI / Ewha-organized workshop about
the qualities that are desirable when publishing translations of (Korean) literature, with representatives
of publishers from several countries, but the anticipated American speaker will not be coming so there will
be no speaker from the English-speaking world. However, the afternoon program anticipates an open
discussion on the topic among translators, divided according to language, from 2pm until 3:40, then a
collective round-table debate from 4 pm, so it is to be hoped that all translators of Korean literature
into English who may be present in Seoul on that day will attend so that I have a session to chair and some
people ready to make interesting remarks. KLTI have redesigned their home page at http://www.ltikorea.net/
but this event is not yet announced on it.

I would be grateful if I could hear news of newly published translations of Korean literature, for addition
to my list at http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/TranslationList.htm . I cannot believe that so little has
appeared, after the more than 30 titles published last year!

Brother Anthony
Sogang University, Seoul
http://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/