[KS] Various news flashes

i_heinz fenkl fenkli at newpaltz.edu
Mon Jun 12 16:38:21 EDT 2006

Next year, Anchor Books, a paperback division of Knopf, will publish an
anthology in which titans of international literature, including Wole Soyinka,
Naguib Mahfouz and Jose Saramago, will recommend new international writers who
are not yet known to readers of English. The book will be called “Words
Without Borders: The World Through the Eyes of Writers.”

Included in this volume will be Jo Kyung-ran’s “Looking for the Elephant,”
translated by Heinz Insu Fenkl (author of “Memories of My Ghost Brother” and
co-editor, with Walter Lew, of “Kori: the Beacon Anthology of Korean American
Fiction”); the story will include an introduction by Don Lee (editor of the
literary journal “Ploughshares” and author of “Country of Origin”). The volume
is slated for publication during the PEN World Voices Festival in late April
of 2007.