[KS] Jurisdiction of the Imperial Army and Kwangtung army

Dane Alston dane.alston at anu.edu.au
Thu Jun 15 21:57:01 EDT 2006

Dear Korean Studies list members,

A friend of colleague has sent through a question regarding the
jurisdiction of the Imperial Army and Kwangtung army in Korea. I was
wondering if any list members might be able to shed some light on this?

<A quick question: I read in an NK book that the Japanese army late in
the war divided the occupation of Korea at the 38th Parallel no
less, with the Imperial Army in charge of the south and the Kwantung
Army having jurisdiction over the north. Is this correct, and if so does
it raise any questions about the people who later divided it?>

Thank you,

Dane Alston