[KS] Photos of early feminists

Matty Wegehaupt omatty at umich.edu
Thu Jun 15 20:23:34 EDT 2006

Offering apologies in advance if these may not be suitable for your
needs, Prof. Robinson, I can nevertheless point to two pictures that
might offer guidance pointing towards what you may ultimately be
seeking:

-the Empas encyclopedia has a rather stunning photo of Na Hyeseok:
http://100.empas.com/art/k03n017201p4.jpg

-Naver news offers a photo of Kim Wonju in her later incarnation as
Ilyeop Seunim:
http://imgnews.naver.com/image/020/2004/07/01/200407010265.jpg

In addition, I thought I could use Prof. Robinson's inquiry as an
opportunity to point listserv readers towards two websites that may be
of interest to other scholars of gender and early modern Korean history
who are looking for multimedia materials.

The first is the website http://newwoman.culturecontent.com - a private
endeavor providing a rather entertaining and in-depth investigation
into the world of the "New Women." This sight also has some pictures of
Na Hyeseok and her husband.

Second, is the "Women's History Knowledge System"
(http://www.womenshistory.re.kr:7070/), a site with a wide variety of
multimedia materials, both historic and contemporary.

I hope readers will find these materials helpful.

-matty wegehaupt-