[KS] water purification, facilities, USAMGIK, 1945-1948

Dege-2 e.dege at geographie.uni-kiel.de
Thu Jun 29 06:07:51 EDT 2006

Most larger cities of Korea had water purification facilities already in
Japanese times. Cf. Hermann Lautensach: Korea. A Geography Based on the
Author's Travels and Literature. (1988) p. 457: "In the period prior to
1910 only Seoul, P'yong-yang, Pusan and Mokp'o were supplied by
waterworks. Otherwise the water needed by the cities was supplied by
wells, whose water occasionally was not sufficient during periods of
drought and often was not pure, so that epedemics were frequent. At the
end of 1937 74 large settlements already had an untainted and adequate
water supply."

Eckart Dege