[KS] Wells

Dr. Edward D. Rockstein ed4linda at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 28 23:12:42 EDT 2006

John,

This is drudged up from fading memory, not from reference books.  I was a Fulbright Scholar in Seoul in 1967.  At that time, the US Forces in Korea (USFK), I was told, provided "filled milk" rather than fresh dairy milk to USFK consumers.  This was a reconstituted milk made from powdered milk, water, and an added fat to simulate milk fat.

I was told that the wells used for this were Japanese-era deep artisian wells which provided fresh, safe, potable water.  These wells were supposedly deep enough that contaminants such as bacteria from partially composted human wastes used as fertilizer were filtered out.  I don't know where thse wells were, but they were supposedly Japanese-drilled.

I hope that this information may be of use to you.

In those days, we always had a very large kettle in which we boiled water for drinking daily.

Ed Rockstein
PhD Princeton '81

                        Dr. Edward D. Rockstein
Korean Language Instructor
Language Learning Center (LLC)
891 Elkridge Landing Road, Rm 301
Linthicum Heights, MD 21090
Office 410-859-5672
  Fax 410-859-5737
ed4linda at yahoo.com

    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. "
  Edmund Burke