[KS] Collection of Korean Linguistics Published (DPRK, 63 volumes)

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Fri Mar 3 06:40:09 EST 2006

Dear Listmembers,

Belated Samil greetings!

This from KCNA may be of interest.

Not unrelatedly: Many thanks to Yunah Sung, Korean Studies Librarian
at the University of Michigan, for tracking down my earlier query re
Korean Press Media. I've now heard back from KPM: see below.

Their website is http://dprkmedia.com (Korean and Japanese only).
Could be a useful first port of call for anyone wanting to order
North Korea's new linguistics shelf-buster.

cheers
Aidan FC

AIDAN FOSTER-CARTER
Honorary Senior Research Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea, Leeds University

Home address: 17 Birklands Road, Shipley, West Yorkshire, BD18 3BY, UK
tel: +44(0)  1274  588586         (alt) +44(0) 1264 737634          mobile:
+44(0)  7970  741307
fax: +44(0)  1274  773663         ISDN:   +44(0)   1274 589280
Email: afostercarter at aol.com     (alt) afostercarter at yahoo.com      website:
www.aidanfc.net
[Please use @aol; but if any problems, please try @yahoo too - and let me
know, so I can chide AOL]

______________________

Collection of Korean Linguistics Published

Pyongyang, March 2 (KCNA) -- Scientists of the Linguistics Institute under
the Academy of Social Science of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea has
written and compiled "Collection of Korean Linguistics", 63 volumes in all.
They have completed the book after six years of researches for developing and
enriching the Korean philology in conformity with the demand of the era and
pioneering a new linguistic field. The book, which has brought together in a
systematic way the successes made in the linguistic researches over the last six
decades, reflects the development of the national language, research achievements
embodying the demand of the IT era and achievements of the latest linguistic
engineering.

The book consists of eleven branches including the linguistic policy,
linguistic history and lexicology and philological handbook.

The first three volumes of the collection give profound exposition to the
Juche-oriented linguistic idea put forward by President Kim Il Sung and leader
Kim Jong Il and their immortal exploits performed in building the cultured
language and to the linguistic policy of the Workers' Party of Korea.

The volumes from the fourth to the thirteenth deal with the history of the
Korean language, the history of character life of the Korean people, the history
of Korean language theory and researches into old Korean folksongs. The
history of the Korean language includes social function, linguistic structure and
style of the Korean written and spoken languages and the issue of development
of the letters at each developing stage from the ancient times to the modern
times. The 14th - 38th volumes give successes made in such linguistic branches
as lexicology, semantics, phonetics, grammar, stylistics and dialectology and
add new historical materials to shortcomings of materials that had been
published in the past. Featured in the part of the linguistic engineering (39th-45th
volumes) are linguistic theory based on the IT, language sound engineering,
Korean language probability theory and so on which can access to new science and
technology in the field of linguistics to suit the requirements of the IT
industry era.

The history of change of the Korean language standards and standard theory
are dealt with in the part of linguistic standard (46th-47th volumes).

The philological handbook (48th-63rd volumes), which is also compiled as CDs,
gives correct answers to the questions to be raised among the working people
when writing and speaking at present.

Subj:   Welcome to the KPM!