[KS] The rhetoric of chunghung

gkl1 at columbia.edu gkl1 at columbia.edu
Fri Mar 3 00:04:39 EST 2006

   As noted by Jiyul Kim, the term <chunghUng> goes far back in
history, with a career much like <yusin> which was discussed here a
few months ago. They also share some connotations. Whereas yusin
suggests reform and the re-establishment of legitimacy, chunghUng
implies revival and a restoration of spirit or prosperity, which
comes especially from the second character, hUng-- start up, rise,
increase, prosper, etc. The first character, chung, is the common
character for "middle," but that is the sense only when read in
classical Chinese in the so-called "level" tone; in this compound
it is usually glossed in Chinese texts in the "departing" tone, and
has the meaning (among others) of "second" in a group of three or
four, or "repeat," or "again." The basic idea of the compound is
"prosperity once more," or, to go at it with an etymological
calque, "a reprospering." (Of course, Sino-Korean readings don't
have any tones when spoken, but if one's education involved Chinese
poetry, as it did for many, one had to know the tones in order to
write or parse the poem correctly.)
   <ChunghUng> is not as obscure or arcane as some of the postings
seem to reflect. It's in three ordinary pocket dictionaries within
reach as I write; and though I wouldn't say it's any longer an
everyday word in Korean, I've seen it in ordinary newspaper or
magazine articles where it was used without the writer feeling that
it needed to be explained. Any decently educated Korean who read
literary or even general magazines in the 30s and 40s would have
been familiar with it, or readily grasped its meaning from the
characters-- which of course wouldn't be the case today. When Park
Chung Hee was a young man it hardly required a classical or
Confucian education to be capable of understanding it. We don't
have to imagine him having to depend on old wizened scholars to
know what it meant, and suggesting as much would be to unwisely
underestimate him. Thus I suspect he used the term well aware of
its historical meaning, and also in the belief that most literate
people in Korean society (a very large number indeed) would
understand exactly what he meant.
   As for an expression like "Kojong chunghUng," it would have been
impossible while Kojong was alive, since "Kojong" was his
posthumous designation, not decided upon until after his death in
1919. "Kwangmu chunghUng," using his year title for the years
1897-1907, could probably be found in the journalism of that
decade. In saying that the phrase "minjok chunghUng" originated in
the colonial period, Bruce Cumings surely referred to the use of
the term with "minjok," which itself came into Korean only in the
early colonial period or just before.

Gari Ledyard