[KS] Fuji Kawashima

Mark Peterson markpeterson at byu.edu
Tue Mar 7 15:48:29 EST 2006

I, too, feel extremely saddened by Fuji's sudden passing.  And I echo
Mike's feelings and his appreciation for David's eulogy -- certainly
his artistic gifts and sketchpad were a wonderful dimension to his
talent and personality.  I would like to add the concept of sonbae to
the enfolding eulogy.  He was my sonbae in all the warm and good
nuances of the term.  He was enough ahead of me in the pipeline, that
he could have ignored me as a much, much too junior person -- we never
had classes together.  He had just left the halls of 2 Divinity Ave,
and the H-Y Library when I arrived.  The echo of his name was still
around, although he had left for Korea for his fieldwork.  So when we
met, I felt like I knew him, but he had no way of knowing me, yet, he
warmly coached me, shared experiences with me and mentored me.  He
always sends me copies of his articles, so I feel like he is still
mentoring me.  A warm friend, a great colleague and all that a sonbae
can be.

Thank you, Fuji.  Godspeed to you.

Mark Peterson