[KS] Fuji Kawashima

Yong-ho Choe choeyh at hawaii.edu
Thu Mar 9 18:47:47 EST 2006

I am saddened to learn that Fuji Kawashima has passed away.  Fuji and I became friends in 1967 when I did my research at Harvard-Yenching Library for my dissertation.  Since then, we became good family friends sharing many mutual interests.  In 1980, Fuji and I took a trip to Taiwan together for about a week, which subsequently became a very fond memory that we talked about whenever we met thereafter.  He took a great pride in having been the first Japanese to have studied in Korea after the Second World War.  While at Yonsei University, he fell in love with a girl who was reputedly the smartest and prettiest co-ed in the school; and when he married her, there was a minor uproar at the campus as many Yonsei male students felt their pride was undermined.  Furji was a good scholar, a great gentleman, and a dear friend. I shall miss him very much.

Yong-ho Choe, Professor Emeritus
Department of History
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Honolulu, HI  96822