[KS] Chinese "control" over Choson

gkl1 at columbia.edu gkl1 at columbia.edu
Tue Mar 21 21:50:33 EST 2006

   That's quite a yarn that Mark got started, while a discussion on
how China somehow "controlled" Korea veered off into one of the
more bizarre episodes in Korean-Chinese cultural relations. The two
interesting postings by David and Adam add further grist to the
story of the Kap'yOng site. With Adam, I share some doubts about the
history spun by the P'ung family of how Kap'yOng's Chojong shrine
developed. I agree with him that it had, at least originally, more
to do with a shrine to this particular group of Ming defectors (it
certainly wasn't the only such group). I also think the P'ungs
may well have invented Song SiyOl's connection with Kap'yOng's
Chojong Shrine, or at least greatly exagerated it. I hope Adam's
research will not only clarify the Kap'yOng situation but also dig
deep into the very rich vein of pro-Ming sentiment in late ChosOn
times. It's not every Korean's favorite histopical theme, but it
is fascinating and was by any criterion a genuine, authentic
movement that deserves serious study.
   The P'ung spin gives a big role to Uam Song SiyOl (d. 1689), but
the shrine usually associated with Song was the Mandongmyo in
Hwayangdong, his native home about 30km east of Ch'Ongju in
Ch'ungbuk province-- quite a way from Kap'yOng. His project was
quite similar to that of many of the famous SOwOn. It started out
as his personal wish, and as it developed, and as his own
reputation posthumously grew greater and greater, it morphed into a
national institution, with court recognition, grants of land and
slaves, and the governor of Ch'ungch'Ong province (then comprising
both north and south) being designated as the official celebrant.
King YOngjo then added to the endowment with twenty more kyOl of
tax-free land. In the meantime, King Sukchong had already in 1704
created a parallel institution to enshrine Ming loyalty, the
Taebodan (Altar of the Great Requital) in the PiwOn in Ch'angdOk
Palace, which brought the Ming cult into institutionalized ritual in
Seoul. The TaewOngun abolished the Mandongmyo in 1865, but at the
initiative of the disciples of HwasO Yi Hangno (who had died in
1868) it was restored in 1874 after the TWG retired and Kojong
assumed full powers. Both the Mandongmyo and the Taebodan were
abolished for good sometime in the mid 1890s. You will look in vain
for any mention of either in the vast section devoted to official
rituals in the revised and expanded MunhOn Pigo of 1908
(editorially completed in late 1904).
   I suspect that the main ideological campaign in favor of the
Kap'yOng cult owed much more to Yi Hangno than to Song SiyOl. The
P'ung story, as passed on in David's 1991 Korea Journal article,
has accounts of Song writing letters to various people connected to
the Kap'yOng group. It is certainly possible; Song wrote thousands
of letters and was well connected to fervent Confucians throughout
the Korean countryside. But when the research is done and Song's
letters thoroughly searched, I would not be surprised if they all
turned out to connected with the Mandongmyo in Hwayangdon g, and
that the P'ung story is a 19th century grafting of a local Kap'yOng
group ancestral cult onto the bigger Mandongmyo/Taebodan nexus.
   One wonders exactly WHEN those big characters were engraved on
the rocks in Kapy'Ong. I checked in the official <Munhwa yujOk
ch'ongnam>, published by the Munhwajae kwalliguk (1977) to see what
it had to say. In Vol 1, p 258, under item 0317-25-002, we find the
"Chojongmyo." The description is as follows: "Enshrined are Ming
T'aejo, Sinjong, and Uijong. It is said to have been erected in
1684, but there are presently no remains." (hyOnjae yuji-nUn Opta.)
That's the complete entry. Given the concrete experiences and
accounts of Mark and David, this seems quite beyond belief.
Possibly it refers only to the original shrine building itself,
while simply ignoring the more recent structures and the inscribed
rock. If so, could it possibly be a put-down by the munhwajae
czars?
   On the same page, there is also item 0317-27-006, the
"KyOnghyOndan," (Altar of the Esteemed Wise Ones). The entry lists
twelve enshrined individuals, of which Yi Hangno is one. Only the
surnames and pen names are given. Checking out the pen names in
appropriate sources, I couldn't make any other link with the nine
enshrined wise ones in David's list on p. 128 of his 1991 article.
   My experience with the <Munhwa yujOk ch'ongnam> has not given me
great faith in its accuracy. In 1978, after having just acquired a
copy of this three-volume register, I noticed a stone inscription
and a shrine in Seoul in honor of Yang Hao, a Chinese general who
was regarded as a great supporter of Korea by Imjin contemporaries.
At the indicated site all I could find was another huge excavation
for a new Seoul skyscraper, so I went to the Munhwajae Kwalliguk
people and asked where the remains of the site were preserved. They
had no clue or record. When shown their own entry in the published
register, they were baffled. Later I found information identical to
their entry in the <Keij^o fushi>, a history of Seoul officially
compiled by the Japanese authorities in 1934. Obviously the
Munhwajae people had copied it without attribution and done no
further research. (Many years later the stone inscription was
located and re-erected at MyOngji University. My thanks to Dennis
Lee, or Yi HyOnsUng, then a student working in Seoul, who tracked
down for me several inscriptions of this type in Seoul in 2003-04.)
Incidentally, the earliest sprouts of the gratitude-to-China cult,
which were already blooming in Seoul before the Imjin War was over,
are treated in my article "Confucianism and War: The Korean Security
Crisis of 1598," in <The Journal of Korean Studies>, v. 6, 1988-89.
   To go back to the original theme of this thread, that security
crisis grew out of what the king and all factions in the court
believed to be a Ming betrayal, engineered by an anti-war faction
in the Ming government. This caused King SOnjo to literally go on
strike, refusing to give any orders or directives related to the
war and especially to supply of the front lines. This was
complemented by a barrage of memorials to Peking, shaming the
Chinese in Confucian terms for not recognizing Korea's loyalty to
the alliance. It is that episode that is analyzed in that article.
   The truth is, Chinese "control" was hardly absolute. While the
Koreans had to play the hand they were dealt, they repeatedly
prevailed in diplomacy and argument. This was not just in Imjin
times. I could cite other examples of how Korea often prevailed and
convinced China to retreat from an aggressive position. In other
words, the tributary system did provide for effective
communication, and Chinese and Korean officialdom spoke from a
common Confucian vocabulary. In THAT front, the relationship was
equal, if not at times actually in Korea's favor.

Gari Ledyard