[KS] Chinese "control" over Choson

Mark Peterson markpeterson at byu.edu
Wed Mar 22 02:04:40 EST 2006

Gari,

I'm always pleased to read your comments on this list.  I am grateful
for all you have contributed to this thread (and every thread you
contribute to).

And I've appreciated David's and Adam's experiences with the rock, the
shrine and the P'ung's.  I wondered when I opened this vein of
discussion if others had had experiences with the Kapyøng shrine, and
it's been interesting to read of David's and Adam's experience.

I don't remember seeing a building there when I visited in 1977.  I
didn't take photographs and am just relying on a much-flawed memory,
but the building just doesn't surface on my hard drive.  And Gari's
note:

> One wonders exactly WHEN those big characters were engraved on
> the rocks in Kapy'Ong. I checked in the official <Munhwa yujOk
> ch'ongnam>, published by the Munhwajae kwalliguk (1977) to see what
> it had to say. In Vol 1, p 258, under item 0317-25-002, we find the
> "Chojongmyo." The description is as follows: "Enshrined are Ming
> T'aejo, Sinjong, and Uijong. It is said to have been erected in
> 1684, but there are presently no remains." (hyOnjae yuji-nUn Opta.)
> That's the complete entry.

I wonder if the building is of recent vintage.  Sometime after my visit
and before David's.

The notation, hy0njae yuji-nUn Opta, is probably reference to the
building alone -- it couldn't be a reference to the inscription on the
rock.  Curious though, that they wouldn't note the inscription.  The
note "nothing remains at present" reinforces my memory of the scene.
Adam; are you able to find out when the building on the site was built?

Well, this is all minutiae, but the question of Chosøn loyalty to Ming
is, as Gari says, worth study.

But Gari, why do you think that Song Si-yøl did not write the
inscription?  Why would the P'ung's have invented that point?  Song was
still alive at the time.  I don't doubt that you have good reasons for
such suspicion -- but that's precisely why wonder what your suspicion
is based on.

Maybe this is beating a dead horse for most of you on the list, but for
a few of us, this is fascinating.

best regards to all,
Mark