[KS] Chinese "control" over Choson - Flogging a live horse

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Wed Mar 22 09:34:22 EST 2006

Worry not, dear Mark. This horse is very much alive.

Not only is the thread fascinating in itself, but for me at least
it also has great contemporary resonance and relevance.

Building on a point Don made, and returning to themes which
got me into hot water here before:

One of my worries about South Korea's present trajectory is that
such vital matters as how a smallish country - not so small, in truth -
may relate to larger ones seems nowadays to be perceived through a
glass darkly, in ways which oversimplify and distort the choices
available. Nuance, subtlety and irony appear forgotten - along with
history. Which is foolish, for these are eternal questions.

As Don rightly said, Park Chung-hee was no Yankee puppet
- any more, one might add, than Kim Il-sung was under Moscow or Beijing.

Koreans don't do puppet, do they? But they used to know how to fake it,
and why that was sometimes a smart move. What one might call the
Aretha question - who's zooming who? - is key here. A dissembling
appearance of subordination may be good cover for very real autonomy.

Back in 1985, at what may have been the first conference on dependency
(then deemed a radical notion) in Seoul, organized by Kim Kyong-dong,
I praised both Korean states for standing up to their respective hegemons
so effectively. Such avowed bipartisanship, in those days, caused a bit of a
stir;
it was inconceivable not to be either on one side or the other. (Later
published in
K-D Kim ed, Dependency Issues in Korean Development. SNU Press, 1987)

Twenty years on, my fear is that the new South Korean "progressive"
orthodoxy,
with its jaundiced reading of much of Korea's modern history, shares the
delusion
of past and present puppetry. Now, as eveywhere, blunt self-assertion is all
the rage.

So when President Roh Moo-hyun says he seeks a more "independent" diplomacy
 and security stance, I can't help wondering:
(a) what precisely this would mean, in an era of globalization; and
(b) whether proclaiming it is the best way of actually achieving it.

Granted, the Bush administration would tax anyone's patience. Yet perhaps the

long history of how Choson handled its relations with China might provide
better
practical lessons, precedents and exemplars for contemporary Korean
statecraft
than all the theoretical persiflage of dependency, postcolonialism, subaltern
studies etc etc.

Of course, there is a Korean regime which continues to pursue absolute
autonomy,
against all comers and at any cost. It is North Korea.

Aidan FC

AIDAN FOSTER-CARTER
Honorary Senior Research Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea, Leeds University

Home address: 17 Birklands Road, Shipley, West Yorkshire, BD18 3BY, UK
tel: +44(0)  1274  588586         (alt) +44(0) 1264 737634          mobile:
+44(0)  7970  741307
fax: +44(0)  1274  773663         ISDN:   +44(0)   1274 589280
Email: afostercarter at aol.com     (alt) afostercarter at yahoo.com      website:
www.aidanfc.net
[Please use @aol; but if any problems, please try @yahoo too - and let me
know, so I can chide AOL]

Maybe this is beating a dead horse for most of you on the list, but for
a few of us, this is fascinating.

best regards to all,
Mark

_________

[Don Baker]

In some ways, Korea's behavior during the Choson dynasty reminds me of

_________