[KS] Another enthusiast's introductory site on Korea

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Wed Mar 22 07:21:06 EST 2006

This may be yet another case of my being the last to know.
But a chance encounter at an Anglo-Korean society function
- the first I had ever attended - led me to this helpful site,
which I had never come across before:

www.londonkoreanlinks.net

It's the work of Philip Gowman, who works for JPMorgan Chase
in London. An evident enthusiast for Korea, he provides basic
information and links in a range of areas:

What’s new
What’s on in London
Books
Film & DVD
Music
Art & Archaeology
Food & Restaurants
Conference Reports
Newspapers & Journals
Academia
Cultural Organisations
Koreans in London
Traveling to Korea

While obviously some of this is mainly for people in London or UK,
much of it (eg the useful weblinks) can be accessed by anyone.

And while avowedly introductory, this may be less overwhelming
for the neophyte than (say) the rich cornucopia of www.koreaweb.ws
- which of course they can move on to later.

A similar enthusiast's site, which I noted here a while back, is
Tanguy Verraes' very full Brussels-based www.korea.be

Or again, those in the US will probably already know the
funky www.newyorkseoul.com - whose varied delights
include a fascinating recent piece on "Coreans in Cuba"
www.newyorkseoul.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=187&Itemid=58&
lang=

All thanks and praise to these commendable initiatives.

No doubt we all get asked to recommend websites on Korea.
Besides Frank's incomparable KoreaWeb, and the ROK government's
stodgy but comprehensive http://korea.net, I usually start with three,
each again the product of individual enthusiasm and commitment:

For culture and much more, Brother Anthony: http://anthony.sogang.ac.kr

For North Korea and more, Leonid Petrov's http://north-korea.narod.ru
- and the collective effort that is www.nkzone.org

These are of course deservedly well-known. But perhaps other readers may
similarly care to share any less familiar sites that they have come across?

Happy surfing!

Aidan FC

AIDAN FOSTER-CARTER
Honorary Senior Research Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea, Leeds University

Home address: 17 Birklands Road, Shipley, West Yorkshire, BD18 3BY, UK
tel: +44(0)  1274  588586         (alt) +44(0) 1264 737634          mobile:
+44(0)  7970  741307
fax: +44(0)  1274  773663         ISDN:   +44(0)   1274 589280
Email: afostercarter at aol.com     (alt) afostercarter at yahoo.com      website:
www.aidanfc.net
[Please use @aol; but if any problems, please try @yahoo too - and let me
know, so I can chide AOL]