[KS] spies and thrillers

Frank Hoffmann frank at koreaweb.ws
Thu Mar 23 23:03:50 EST 2006

Fatherly leaders and good articles about carnages -- hmmmm...
With all due respect, are you planning to teach a Korean film class
like a history class with documentary visual material, including
North Korea related spy movies from the South? I would find this a
problematic approach that likely leads to the usual answers that
anyone here is able to anticipate and that might hinder students to
develop good questions; and I even find your request to the list
confusing. We all know the situation as regards to such kind of
information and what is involved politically. The reply you got was
to be anticipated.

--QUOTE--
>"Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader" by
>Bradley K. Martin is a recent book that often offers
>quite deep examination of this subject (...)."
---------

On TV, I remember, an interviewee was asked about watching porn
strips. His short and cute reply: "Well, you've seen one, you've seen
them all -- why bother?" Recently doing some window (shelve) shopping
in bookstores that very sentence came to mind when gazing at the
KOREA section, from a secure distance, one eye closed. Why are there
20 books on North Korea all with the same stale and totally unsexy
joke as title? Are these all funded by the same known source, edited
by the same editor, published by the same .... or is there only one
reader?

Frank