[KS] Finally, a proper Korean learners' dictionary

johnfrankl at yahoo.com johnfrankl at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 24 02:19:47 EST 2006

Thank you Stefan for making us aware of this dictionary.

  Am I the only one who finds its title--and the title of certain textbooks--a bit odd? That is "Oeguginu^l Wihan Han'gugo^ Haksu^p Sajo^n_ ("Korean Study Dictionary
for Foreigners"?

  This is a very different conception than, say, "Korean as a Foreign/Second Language"--the latter having nothing to do with nationality/ethnicity. The simple and ironic fact is that the majority of learners of KFL/KSL are ethnically Korean, and, as such, often not considered "foreigners" by those very people who produce such dictionaries/textbooks.

  John Frankl

Stefan Ewing <sa_ewing at hotmail.com> wrote:
  Dear KS list members:

First of all, thanks to Mark Peterson, David Mason, Adam Bohnet, Gari
Ledyard, et al. for the fascinating thread on enduring Ming loyalties. As
Hildi Kang commented, this is entirely new to many of us, but no less
interesting!

Anyhow, on a brief stint in Korea, I popped into the Jongno store of Kyobo
Mungo and found, finally, that someone (or rather, several people) had
published a proper dictionary for learners of Korean.

This is not a proper book review and may only be of interest to those on
this list who are directly involved in Korean language education (or
librarianship?)--and for all I know, such individuals may have already
received a press release concerning the book--but here goes.

The _Oeguginu^l Wihan Han'gugo^ Haksu^p Sajo^n_ ("Korean Study Dictionary
for Foreigners"; ISBN 8995501715; 35,000 Won) was just published in January
2006. Its authors include (please forgive me for not knowing how they
prefer to romanize their names) So^ Sanggyu, Paek Pongja, Kang Hyo^nhwa, Kim
Hongbo^p, Nam Kir-im, Yu Hyo^n-gyo^ng, Cho^ng Hu^ijo^ng, and Han Songhwa,
edited and reviewed by Hong Chaeso^ng and Pak Chinho, with participation
from the Kungnip Kugo^wo^n (NAKL) and Han'guk Segyehwa Chaedan. The
publisher is S(h?)inwon Prime (Sinwo^n Pu^raim).

At 888 pages on A5 (14.8 x 21.0 cm; approx. 6 x 8 ins), the book is nothing
if not hefty. Only more essential or commonly used words are included for
entries, and the entries are lengthy and informative--written using only
words included in the dictionary--with far more collocational and
grammatical information than a Kugo^ Sajo^n would see fit to include. The
book features several appendices, including an overview of grammar,
irregular verb conjugations, and a condensed list of approx. 3,000 key
words. The dictionary's selection criteria are based at least in part on
the NAKL's _Han'gugo^ Haksu^byong O^hwi Mongnok_, published a few years
back.

In the end, I didn't buy the book. Even though I'd been hoping in vain for
many years for just such a book to come out, the dictionary omits many less
commonly used or less essential words that a learner may nevertheless
occasionally encounter. And thanks to two-colour printing (red and black),
the ink gives me a headache! On top of which, I was really searching at the
time for a *pocket* _Kugo^ Sajo^n_, and I would have needed a kangaroo's
pocket to fit that dictionary in.

Nevertheless, I would strongly recommend that those on the list who are
involved in Korean language education at least take a look at the book, as
the dictionary is excellent in its own right and for its express purpose,
and I'm quite sure I'm not the only person who's been waiting for just such
a book for a very, very long time.

A (very long) link to Kyobo's page on the book follows my signature....

Yours sincerely,
Stefan Ewing

Link (if it doesn't work, go to http://www.kyobobook.co.kr and search for
"han'gugo^haksu^psajo^n" under "Kungnae Toso^"):
http://www.kyobobook.co.kr/category/bookdetail/BookDetailView.jsp?CLICK=FRE&NEWCLICK=HA1&BKIND=KOR&CATE=&BARCODE=9788995501719&FLAG=0&PRE_QUERY=%28%5B1.0%5Dbook_nm%3D%C7%D1%B1%B9%BE%EE%C7%D0%BD%C0%BB%E7%C0%FC%29%3Cor%3E%28%C7%D1%B1%B9%BE%EE%C7%D0%BD%C0%BB%E7%C0%FC%29%3Cin%3E%28book_nm%2Cauthor%2Csubject%2Ctranslator%29&QUERY_TEXT=&PRE_QUERY_TEXT=%C7%D1%B1%B9%BE%EE%C7%D0%BD%C0%BB%E7%C0%FC&REQUERY_CHECK=&CLASS_CODE_CHECK=&PAGENUM=START&PAGE_CLICK=&INITIAL=&INITIAL_CLICK=&INITIAL_QUERY=&TOTAL_CHECK=&BEST_CHECK=&TOP_CHECK=&TOP_FIELD=total&ADD_FIELD=total&QUERY=&inputParam=f%7C%7C05%7C%7C%C7%D1%B1%B9%BE%EE%C7%D0%BD%C0%BB%E7%C0%FC&logName=kor_click.log&targetUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kyobobook.co.kr%2Fcategory%2Fbookdetail%2FBookDetailView.jsp&firstQuery=%C7%D1%B1%B9%BE%EE%C7%D0%BD%C0%BB%E7%C0%FC&secondQuery=&EJK=KOR&CLASS_CODE=ROOT&SORT_FIELD=sale_qty&MAX_DOC=1000&DOC_PAGE=10&FIELD=book_nm&REQUERY
=&INPUT_GB=1&INPUT_GB=1&INPUT_GB=1

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft?SmartScreen
Technology.
Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN?Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.