[KS] spies and thrillers

Suk-Young Kim skim at dramadance.ucsb.edu
Fri Mar 24 15:02:54 EST 2006

Hello all:

I agree with Frank’s point 2. This is not to dismiss all the existing
publications on North Korean crisis, but to acknowledge that there is
much more
to North Korean scholarship beyond political and economic analyses.

As a person currently working on a book on how the NK propaganda theatre/film
created discursive and unpredictable cultural practices of everyday life, I
come to realize that taking such a cultural approach to NK is a pretty
exciting
way of understanding why and how NK sustains itself so firmly. But at the same
time, it is a
tough mission to accomplish because one is doomed to rely heavily on
ethnographic research skills. Interviewing defectors might yield to incorrect
or biased information, but at least, it is doable and is the only way to
understand everyday life practices in NK at the present moment. Many
interesting books can be written on NK via ethnographic research, and it will
be nice to see more publications on NK culture counterbalancing the current NK
scholarship which leans heavily towards NK crisis.

Suk-Young Kim