[KS] spies and thrillers

Hyung Pai hyungpai at eastasian.ucsb.edu
Sat Mar 25 20:32:10 EST 2006

Dear members,
I did not realize my innocent question would raise such a heated
debate. I just wanted something short and relatively easy to assign
to my students here who have only a vague idea of where or what NK
is. I do agree that these thriller movies do not give at all a
balanced perspective of the scope and complexity of the NK regime in
all its surreal manifestations ( as Dr. Kim just mentioned about
theatre/dance)
as well as real hardships and famine on the ground, however these
movies have now become the  visual images being circulated around the
world- be it fiction or fantasy. Therefore, I feel that we should
address some of these issues even in a film class. Since I am not a
cinema person, I am approaching these films from a cultural studies
perspective in my course designing stage. I thank everyone who sent
me insightful comments
On Mar 24, 2006, at 12:02 PM, Suk-Young Kim wrote:

> [...]
> be nice to see more publications on NK culture counterbalancing the
> current NK
> scholarship which leans heavily towards NK crisis.
>
> Suk-Young Kim
>

> Quoting Frank Hoffmann <frank at koreaweb.ws>:
>
>> Aidan, okay, thought it was clear ...
>>
>> Point 1:  FILM CLASS, that's a lecture/class about film. A film class
>> is about film, not history. Film is a new developing area of study
>> that is on the way of developing its own methodology, just like
>> sociology, history, psychology, etc. I was trying to point out that
>> teaching a FILM CLASS (class about film) as if it where a history
>> class with additional visual material (and that's what the question
>> aimed at) would be a very problematic approach. Interdisciplinary
>> teaching should not be mistaken for the same chicken soup all week.
>>
>> Point 2:  If I rely on the most stale and overused joke for the title
>> to my academic or journalistic informative book, do I ask to be taken
>> serious? And if I publish a book, do I need to perform a strip dance
>> in front of the public because that's  what publishers demand? All
>> publishers? Fact is that EVERY country and culture has so very many
>> layers of reality that are worth to write about, to know and
>> understand, that we do not need to focus on our own pre-conceptions
>> of that country or culture. Shall we even on a Korean studies
>> discussion list repeat all the three wisdoms about North Korea the
>> world knows for decades, and "discuss" them?  Are we really that
>> self-constrained? Has anyone here any doubts about the crimes and
>> mishaps etc. in North Korea. I don't think so. We don't even have any
>> formal opposition to that from Eastern Europe anymore. Can we then
>> maybe go beyond the black/white broadcasting and get some color on
>> the screen? Color means not just to get more information on the
>> always same issues (human rights violations, prison camps, Communist
>> party, etc.) but to do more and different things with information, to
>> establish and follow different connections between pieces of
>> information, and to consider the fact that we live in a late-modern,
>> post-avantgarde, post-cold-war period. There are so many wonderfully
>> developed fields within the so-called humanistics, and also natural
>> sciences. We can say a lot of fascinating things about North Korea if
>> we do not limit ourselves to the same old soup day in day out, if we
>> stop talking about "North Korea" and talk about the various aspects
>> of culture, economics, daily life.
>>
>> Frank
>>

>>> Dear Frank, and all,
>>>
>>> Your big frown of disapproval is unmistakable.
>>> But your precise reasons for this are less obvious.
>>> Might you kindly elaborate?
>>>
>>> A. As I read it, you could be saying any (or several)
>>> of the following:
>>>
>>> Accusations that North Korea engages in espionage,
>>> terrorist bombings, and other bad things, are:
>>>
>>> 1. False; or exaggerated; or no longer true.
>>> 2. So well known as to be not worth discussing.
>>> 3. Impolite or impolitic to highlight, even if true;
>>> because this may perpetuate hostile attitudes and
>>> so prevent the Koreas from making peace.
>>> 4. Bad pedagogy, for a teacher. (But why, exactly?
>>> What, instead, would you regard as "good questions"?)
>>> 5. Somehow morally bad to repeatedly dwell upon,
>>> (the curious porn analogy).
>>> 6. Stereotyped; intellectually stale, unchallenging.
>>> 7. Made by people whose company one does not
>>> want to keep (eg Bush, neocons, ROK cold-warriors)
>>>

>>> B. On shelf shopping, Bo Diddley's wise words spring to mind.
>>> You really can't judge a book by looking at the cover.
>>>
>>> 1. We live under capitalism. Books are commodities. Cover and
>>> title in particular are designed to grab you; to win readers.
>>> Like newspaper headlines, these are often not of the author's
>>> choosing.
>>> Thus I don't think Gavan Mccormack chose to call his excellent book
>>> Target North Korea. Blame the publishers for this.
>>>
>>> 2. Ergo, title and cover may be misleading as to both the nature,
>>> scope and quality of what lies within. You're surely not seriously
>>> suggesting that it suffices to read with "one eye closed", "from a
>>> secure distance" - and dismiss a whole literature a priori, unread?
>>>
>>> 3. As one of the few in the North Korea field who has not written
>>> a book recently, I must spring to the defence of my colleagues.
>>> All hail Kim Jong-il's nuclear defiance! - which has created a
>>> market for at least two or three dozen new books on the DPRK
>>> in English in the past three years, which might otherwise have had
>>> difficulty finding a publisher and readers.
>>>
>>> Frank's dismissiveness of these riches is unfair, and unwarranted.
>>> Regardless of title, almost all these books are useful. Some, like
>>> Bradley Martin's, are exceptionally good. I can think of only one
>>> really bad one, which (sadly) is Jasper Becker's Rogue Regime.
>>>
>>> 4. If Frank objects to terms like "fatherly leader", surely he
>>> should
>>> address his complaint to Pyongyang. Brad and others are only using
>>> and reporting the DPRK's own official discourse and terminology.
>>> If this sound ludicrous to our ears, whose fault or problem is that?
>>>
>>> best wishes
>>> Aidan
>>>
>>> AIDAN FOSTER-CARTER
>>> Honorary Senior Research Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea,
>>> Leeds University
>>> Home address: 17 Birklands Road, Shipley, West Yorkshire, BD18
>>> 3BY, UK
>>> tel: +44(0)  1274  588586         (alt) +44(0) 1264 737634
>>> mobile:  +44(0)  7970  741307
>>> fax: +44(0)  1274  773663         ISDN:   +44(0)   1274 589280
> [...]

Hyung Il Pai
Associate Professor
East Asian Languages and Cultural Studies,
HSSB Building, University of California, Santa Barbara CA 93106
Fax: 805) 893-3011, Phone: 805) 893-2245
Email: Hyungpai at eastasian.ucsb.edu
Dept. Web-site -http://www.eastasian.ucsb.edu/