[KS] AAS Korea panels announcements

Frank Hoffmann frank at koreaweb.ws
Fri Mar 31 18:44:31 EST 2006

The truth that modernists have to offer has widely been acknowledged
to be more than deceptive by leading modernist historians themselves,
also art historians, and others in the humanities. As you know, they
now prefer different terms such as "Late Modernism" -- that's
basically a laundered, scaled-down postmodernism that I see there
sneaking in. Politically a cleaver move. "Modernism pure" has a stale
taste to it, has become a big no no, is widely seen as a flawed and
now outdated model because it was to a large extent building on the
idea of progress (both in capitalist and in Communist societies), and
this idea pretty much died on us during the late 80s and the whole
90s, at least in "the West." The 90s showed more and more that
modernist truth and progress in all its authoritative models were
nicely abused by every regime on the planet, and that minorities (=
non-whites) were not being served well by such models of truth and
truth finding. What I see at conferences in the U.S. is a settled
situation with what I just called a laundered and scaled-down
postmodernism. Postmodernists found out that in the end they are
operating within the very same modernist framework while modernists
found that there needs to be a way to get rid of all these huge holes
in their roof and walls.

QUOTE:
>>  (be sure to wear some flowers in your hair)

So far about modernist truth and illusions :: flowers are fine, but
as for the hair, please be sure to bring a good rain coat and hat. It
was cold and has rained for the past six weeks in San Francisco, and
the forecast predicts more rain to come.

QUOTE:
>And since we must all now earn our crust in a capitalist
>marketplace, one does wonder about supply and demand.
>Can all you bright young things, dizzy with postcolonialism,
>count on getting jobs? There are so many of you!

As far as "supply and demand" is concerned, in the information
society that we are living in classical economic ideas are not
irrelevant but should be applied to new realities. And if your
analysis sees only "bright young things, dizzy with postcolonialism"
then I doubt that you applied Samuelson's rules. To be sure, I very
well understand your emotions, but I doubt that this is still what's
happening. Other than you I see a new young generation (both in the
U.S. and in Europe) that never ever had flowers in their hair, and
that scares me a little -- not that they don't know what they are
doing but that they know too well too early. Speaking about emotions

Frank