[KS] AAS Korea panels announcements

Michael Robinson robime at indiana.edu
Fri Mar 31 20:10:24 EST 2006

Dear Adian:

As member of the AAS program committee I feel compelled to comment.  The Korea panels reflect the applications for panels to the committee last year.  We had a very large number of applicants so we were choosing on the basis of quality first.  Some might find this slate unbalanced by discipline, but then you go with what comes in.  If you are bemoaning the lack of disciplinary balance, then you might re-think what is going on in academe generally and the Korean studies field reflects faithfully the same trends.  Many of these papers and panels are new work by people just finishing, or early in their careers.  The questions they are asking of the Korean area reflect the dominant trend toward multi-disciplinary topics.  "Cultural Studies" (whatever that is) is nothing if multi-displinary.  Moreover, the lack of social science panels is not for lack of trying as the program committee has for that last years actually had our own affirmative action program for the social sciences at the meetings.  Political science is under-represented because comparativists are now rare in that increasingly narrowing field.  The "hard core" social science scholars who might be working on Korea are also not well-served by delivering their papers at the AAS....it is not a conference valued by social scientists....and papers go first to the refereed SS journals.   If you had been going to the AAS 25-30 years ago you would have been astounded at the lack of balance in the direction favoring the Korean War, Political Science, and development studies.  In my opinion the paper topics this year represent a broad diversity of topics and approaches that enriches the field.  Pure post-modernism has been dead for quite a while, I don't see much post-modernism in the conference offerings at all.  I'm sorry you won't be there to hold up the subjects of whose absence you object.

Mike Robinson