[KS] A Question about the term hanbando

Javier Cha javiercha at gmail.com
Wed May 10 04:19:19 EDT 2006

In Choson documents that I usually look at, I don't recall Korea or
the Korean peninsula ever being referred to as Han 韓. Instead, I find
the following expressions:

Odong 吾東 "our Eastern [country]"
Tongguk 東國 "Eastern country"
Ch'onggu 靑邱 "green hill"
Chwahae 左海 "left of Bohai"
Haedong 海東 "east of Bohai"
(I am sure there are a lot more I left out.)

As for the expression "pando," I don't ever see a reference to
anything like "peninsula" in traditional sources. The Liaodong
peninsula will be simply referred to as "Liaodong" and the Shandong
peninsula as "Shandong." Also, just a word of caution to the online
Shillok entries that make references to "pando" -- those are footnotes
added by contemporary scholars.

Javier