[KS] A Question about the term hanbando

Stefan Ewing sa_ewing at hotmail.com
Wed May 10 14:31:43 EDT 2006

Dear Javier:

Thank you for the correction regarding my reading of the Sillok.  (I must
look like a fool now!)  I must admit that I am a rank amateur when it comes
to properly reading this material, and was too hasty in posting without
thinking.

Anyhow, several of the various terms you presented for Korea have fairly
transparent meanings, but could you or another list member possibly explain
the meaning or origin of "Odong"?

Yours,
Stefan Ewing

>From: "Javier Cha" <javiercha at gmail.com>
>To: "Korean Studies Discussion List" <koreanstudies at koreaweb.ws>
>Subject: Re: [KS] A Question about the term hanbando
>Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 01:19:19 -0700
>
>In Choson documents that I usually look at, I don't recall Korea or
>the Korean peninsula ever being referred to as Han 韓. Instead, I find
>the following expressions:
>
>Odong 吾東 "our Eastern [country]"
>Tongguk 東國 "Eastern country"
>Ch'onggu 靑邱 "green hill"
>Chwahae 左海 "left of Bohai"
>Haedong 海東 "east of Bohai"
>(I am sure there are a lot more I left out.)
>
>As for the expression "pando," I don't ever see a reference to
>anything like "peninsula" in traditional sources. The Liaodong
>peninsula will be simply referred to as "Liaodong" and the Shandong
>peninsula as "Shandong." Also, just a word of caution to the online
>Shillok entries that make references to "pando" -- those are footnotes
>added by contemporary scholars.
>
>Javier

SmartScreen Technology.
first two months FREE*.