[KS] Hanbando, etc. - whoops

Stefan Ewing sa_ewing at hotmail.com
Wed May 10 18:45:25 EDT 2006

Dear KS list members:

Well, that's two missteps in two days.  I hang my head in shame.  As one
list member has pointed out offline, "Odong" means exactly what Javier Cha
wrote: "our country."  In my haste (again), I scanned too quickly over his
list, and misread the character "na o" in "Odong" as "taso^t o," missing the
conspicuous "ip ku" radical underneath--and wondering what "Five East" could
possibly mean.

I'll think twice before extemporizing like this again.

Thanks,
Stefan Ewing

***

>From: "Stefan Ewing" <sa_ewing at hotmail.com>
>To: koreanstudies at koreaweb.ws
>Subject: Re: [KS] A Question about the term hanbando
>Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 11:31:43 -0700
>
>Dear Javier:
>
>Thank you for the correction regarding my reading of the Sillok.  (I must
>look like a fool now!)  I must admit that I am a rank amateur when it comes
>to properly reading this material, and was too hasty in posting without
>thinking.
>
>Anyhow, several of the various terms you presented for Korea have fairly
>transparent meanings, but could you or another list member possibly explain
>the meaning or origin of "Odong"?
>
>Yours,
>Stefan Ewing
>
>>From: "Javier Cha" <javiercha at gmail.com>
>>To: "Korean Studies Discussion List" <koreanstudies at koreaweb.ws>
>>Subject: Re: [KS] A Question about the term hanbando
>>Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 01:19:19 -0700
>>
>>In Choson documents that I usually look at, I don't recall Korea or
>>the Korean peninsula ever being referred to as Han 韓. Instead, I find
>>the following expressions:
>>
>>Odong 吾東 "our Eastern [country]"
>>Tongguk 東國 "Eastern country"
>>Ch'onggu 靑邱 "green hill"
>>Chwahae 左海 "left of Bohai"
>>Haedong 海東 "east of Bohai"
>>(I am sure there are a lot more I left out.)
>>
>>As for the expression "pando," I don't ever see a reference to
>>anything like "peninsula" in traditional sources. The Liaodong
>>peninsula will be simply referred to as "Liaodong" and the Shandong
>>peninsula as "Shandong." Also, just a word of caution to the online
>>Shillok entries that make references to "pando" -- those are footnotes
>>added by contemporary scholars.
>>
>>Javier

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen
Technology.
first two months FREE*.