[KS] Hanbando, etc.

Hyung Pai hyungpai at eastasian.ucsb.edu
Thu May 11 15:45:22 EDT 2006

Dear members,
I have found the use of "Hanbando" in Japanese historical literature
around the 1900s. It seems to be used to contrast the geographical
and environmental conditions (fudo-p'ungt'o)of Korea as a peninsula
nation as opposed to Japan which is an island nation (shima kuni).
These kinds of analogies most frequently appear when the Japanese
scholars I read ( mostly art historians, archaeologists and
anthropologists) are attempting to explain  why Korea's art,
architectural and archaeological remains as compared to that of China
as a great continent ( Taeryuk kijil) remained small in scale and
remained stagnant in development after the Silla Period. The Korean
people and their culture and civilization could not expand  because
they were geographically circumscribed by more powerful empires, and
physical barriers such as mountains, seas as a bando nation.
There are also many articles that attempt to compare Japanese racial,
artistic and architectural achievements in the Nara period to that of
Ancient Greece ( Esp.  Buddhist sculpture and the Graeco-Buddhist
Origins of Japanese art) due to their geographic similarities as
islands that spawned the roots of Western civilization. On the other
hand, the Korean peninsula in ancient times is often written as
resembling Italy -again a peninsula that was once great in the past
but had declined since the Roman empire. There are still many Korean
scholars today who throw out these general statements regarding such
environmental/racial deterministic reasons for explaining the rise
and fall of civilizations.