[KS] A Question about pukkando

Mark Byington byington at fas.harvard.edu
Wed May 10 23:36:31 EDT 2006

Hello,

The name Kando (Ch. Jiandao) may indeed have origins in local
Jurchen-Manchu dialect, but the accounts I have seen all point to a
semantic reading from the Chinese. According to at least some sources,
including the Qingshigao (p. 4641 in the Zhonghua edition), Jiandao
originally referred to an island formed by the splitting and rejoining of
the flow of the Tumen. This area was earlier referred to by the Qing as
Jiajiang (false river), and was located in the Guangqi valley of Helong
County in southeastern Jilin. In China I read more than once that the name
Jiandao was first used by Koreans who had settled in the area, but I do
not have a source for this claim at hand. At any rate, these accounts
suggest that the name Kando or Jiandao was a Chinese, or sino-Korean name
meaning "intervening island," or something to that effect, meaning a
region where the river splits in two to form an island. As Frank points
out, however, a great many place names in this region are very un-Chinese
and have origins in local dialects, Tumen and Yanji being examples. When I
was doing research in this area I often asked about the meaning of
odd-sounding place names, and the typical reaction from scholars there was
to read the names as distorted colloqial Chinese, even when a likely
correlate in Manchu was at hand. I was therefore skeptical about the
account of Jiandao in the sources I read, though the Qingshigao version
sounds fairly reasonable. Gibert's 1934 dictionary of Manchurian
historical geography (pp. 466-67) has a similar story.

Regards,

Mark Byington