[KS] A Question about pukkando

Andriy Ryzhkov andy_kim at ukr.net
Thu May 11 03:31:55 EDT 2006

Greetings, Mark an other members!
As for Pukkando,
>From period of Chong country this term was used to regard
non-habitant area which was located between Chong and Choson.
Thus it is a metonymic comparison with abondoned island.

Cheers,
Ryzhkov Andriy

Message: 3
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 22:59:16 -0600
From: Mark Peterson <markpeterson at byu.edu>
Subject: Re: [KS] A Question about pukkando
To: Korean Studies Discussion List <koreanstudies at koreaweb.ws>

Greetings islanders and half-islanders,

All this chatter about bando brings another question to my mind, and
that is the etymology of Pukkando -- the term for Manchuria.  It's is
"north" "space" "island" -- and how did that come about?  There is
nothing of an island in that northern space.

This is probably a simple question the answer to which many of you
know, and maybe I just ought to go look it up; but I think it might
contribute to this discussion on "half-islands".

best,
Mark